Our Chapter was founded in 1953, as the Retired Officers Club of Sarasota, we changed our name in 2003 to The Military Officers Association of Sarasota. Originally, we were just a social organization for retired officers. We got together to tell war stories and re-live the camaraderie of the “O” Club.
Today we are a vibrant multifaceted association of all the uniformed services, that stills enjoy our get togethers, but have now reached out into our veteran community to make a difference. We award scholarships, sponsor an American Flag Initiative curriculum in Sarasota and Manatee counties, and sponsor patriotic events at Patriot Plaza and Veterans Day concerts with the Pops Orchestra to thousands of attendees. We are active in the Sarasota County Veteran’s Commission and the sponsor of Veteran Appreciation Day at Ed Smith stadium in partnership with the Baltimore Orioles. Our voice is heard in Tallahassee and Washington DC on legislative issues and policies that impact you and our veteran’s community.
CAMARADERIE WITH A PURPOSE
If you are missing the camaraderie and core values of military service and want to develop close and lasting friendships with other members with similar backgrounds and interest, please join us.
- Monthly luncheons – speakers, entertainment and education
- Celebrating our shared military heritage at December’s Annual Military Ball.
- Monthly Meet & Greets at Marina Jacks in downtown Sarasota – the way officers’ clubs used to be.
- Outings and events – polo matches, kayaking trips, military ceremonies, Army/Navy football games, Orioles baseball and even beach parties.
NETWORKING WITH FELLOW OFFICERS
Our second career members in the workforce and retired members who have contacts in the business community are invaluable to transitioning member.
- Provide ample and repeated member opportunities for business networking and mutual consulting resources.
- Publish an annual Membership Directory so everyone can stay in touch.
- Young At Heart Officers Organization [YAHOO] for members wishing to attend activities with other members to establish relationships.
MAKE YOURSELF HEARD
MOAA’s chapters provide critical grassroots support for MOAA’s national legislative agenda. Our benefits are under attack and MOAA is in the fight to preserve them.
- Monitor and evaluate state, local and federal legislation of interest to veterans and our national defense.
- Coordinate with other community Veteran organizations
- Be a voice at events and conferences that bring together all MOAA chapters.
Take action at MOAA.org
GIVING BACK TO THE COMMUNITY
We are ambassadors in our community, supporting countless programs that make a difference in the lives of others. These members continue the “officer-ship” service and are giving back in the truest sense.
- Established and have operated the Sarasota Military Officers Foundation for over 20 years, providing scholarships for high school seniors and educational financial aid for our returning Veterans at our local colleges, universities, and technical schools.
- Supporting individual members and their families during times of difficulty, crises, illness or death.
- Representing the military, active, retired or reserve, at selected local events or ceremonies.
- Continue to expand the American Flag Initiative in our elementary schools.
- Supporting our local high school JROTC programs.
- Sending over 50,000 care packages overseas to our deployed troops under the Support Our Troops Program (SOT).
Our newsletters, website, meetings and events all provide the latest information on local, state and national issues and changes to military benefits.
- Improve access to available health services and most recent information
- Serve as an information resource and facilitator.
- Publish a monthly newsletter called The Sarasota Breeze, which keeps our members informed on our Chapter’s activities and articles from our leadership team
You may be asking who qualifies? You don’t have to be retired to join our Chapter.
We have two membership categories and we welcome all. Our membership fee is a modest $35/year, includes our digital newsletter. Printed copies are available for an additional $16.
Regular memberships open to active duty, retired, National Guard, reserve, former commissioned and warrant officers of the seven uniformed services (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, Public Health Service, & National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration), and surviving spouses of any deceased individuals who would, if living, be eligible for membership. Officers or former officers of foreign services are also welcome to join.
Associate Memberships are open to those who support our goals and objectives and wish to support veteran programs in our community. Requires Board approval.
To learn more please contact Kat Merriman: firstname.lastname@example.org
Military Officers Association of America [MOAA] Membership
By joining our chapter and providing a valid email address, we will, with your permission, establish your free, 3-year national MOAA BASIC membership, or you may do so directly at MOAA Basic Membership Sign-Up. If you are already a member great! Please provide us your MOAA membership number.
You don’t have to join to come and meet us. You are welcome to attend a Meet & Greet at Marina Jacks, no reservations, or a luncheon, reservations needed.
You will be most welcome.
Much of our funding comes from our membership. We gratefully accept donations from the community at large.
Please send your check to:
Sarasota Military Officers Foundation (SMOF) Inc
PO Box # 1016
Sarasota, FL 34230-1016
We are a 501(c)(3) Organization
Thank you for your donation.